“Previously on BUILDING THE NEW VOME”… Sounds kinda like the opening of a TV serial.
But seriously we started with building the frame and then started putting on the top. I gave you a few tips on “how-did” construction ideas. I try not to use the “how-to” phrase because I’m not expert enough to give “how-to” advice. Instead, I will share how I did it and the reasoning behind why. Sometimes that is based on some research and sometimes just plain old experience.
I’ve attached the rear two top pieces and will put the hinges on the front two pieces. I refer to these as two pieces, because of the shape of the van and the window trim one long piece would no go down into place. (Refer to the first bed building post, I told ya so. Sometimes it’s just easier to build in place since there’s very few things that are straight and square in a van.) Besides, it’s part of my plan to hinge one half of the front of the bed.
If you look under the bed you will see a dividing wall in place. This is so that the stuff in the back stays in the back while I’m driving. Here’s a little better view of that divider from the rear of the bed.
I made the front half hinged to swing open on the top. The left side has a pop-off panel held on by magnetic latches to access a pull out drawer. Since the right half of the bed is where I will put the batteries and the inverter that front is fixed in place.
To answer a question Julie asked, I used piano hinges from my local Lowe’s store to hinge the tops. And as you can see a simple “prop stick” to hold them open. I considered getting some gas struts from a junkyard, but decided simple would be best.
If you look closely at the picture above on the left side of the lid it has been trimmed down. This trimming was to allow the lid to clear the trim around the windows and allow the lid to swing into a near vertical position. Remember angles in a van are seldom square?
This is the finished bed with the slide out drawer being built in front of it. I chose to make the drawer be just a lift up and tug out affair. I could have built rails in the space and then added drawer slides. But again I chose simple. the added benefit is when it is slid back into place it’s resting behind a frame member across the bottom and not sliding out.
That pretty much finishes the bed. I will put a coat of clear varnish on the front to protect it and make it easier to keep clean. And may add some aluminum angle as trim on the front edge of the lid to prevent splintering and give it a better appearance.
Oh yeah, the pad is the two pieces of orthopedic foam from the two twin beds that were there. I added a full sized topper pad to cover where the two pieces meet. Now this bed actually sleeps better than the one in the house.
Next some odds and ends pieces to be installed. So until next time…
“Get Out, Be Safe, and Go Adventure.”